Batman-adv 2011.2.0 released
The B.A.T.M.A.N. team is publishing its latest edition, 2011.2.0, primarily focusing on bug fixes and compatibility plus some smaller features. As the kernel module always depends on the Linux kernel it was compiled against, it does not make sense to provide binaries on our website. As usual, you will find the signed tarballs in our download section:
as well as prepackaged binaries in your distribution.
A series of patches has been merged that replaces all occurrences of 'HNA' by 'TT' (standing for 'translation table'). Originally, batman-adv inherited the term 'HNA' from our layer 3 implementation which caused some confusion as people expected it to behave in the same way. The new name is meant to outline the difference. Scripts / tools expecting the string 'HNA' in the debugfs / batctl output need to be adjusted.
This renaming is the first step in a number of changes regarding the client announcement mechanisms. Expect more to come with the following releases.
Thanks to all people sending in patches:
- Andrew Lunn <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Antonio Quartulli <email@example.com>
- Daniele Furlan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- David Decotigny <email@example.com>
- Linus Lüssing <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Lucas De Marchi <email@example.com>
- Marek Lindner <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Michał Mirosław <email@example.com>
- Paul E. McKenney <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Simon Wunderlich <email@example.com>
- Sven Eckelmann <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sylvestre Ledru <email@example.com>
and to all those that supported us with good advice or rigorous testing:
- David Miller <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Russell Senior <email@example.com>
In the aftermath of the orig hash lock removal released with 2011.1.0, batman-adv underwent a stabilization phase in which fixing bugs was the highest priority. Unsurprisingly, the transition to fine grained locking required further attention such as properly protecting data structures with rcu locks. During the debugging phase race conditions were fixed, duplicate code removed, memory leaks eliminated and reference counting imbalances addressed.
The backward compatibility with older kernel versions as well as the support of upcoming kernel releases has been thoroughly tested and improved. The local and global translation table output is reflecting the HNA to TT conversion. Adding support for multiple vlan ids to the bridge loop avoidance code is the only noticeable new feature coming with this release.
The batctl tool also has been affected by the renaming: the vis data option '--no-HNA|-H' has been renamed to '--no-TT|-T' and the vis data output prints 'label=TT' instead of 'label=HNA'. To be compliant with the JSON Schema the JSON vis data output has been slightly modified.
The B.A.T.M.A.N. team